[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner on multiple computers

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner on multiple computers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:52:27 -0500

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> - You can use M-x planner-create-note-from-task to create a note
>   associated with a particular task.

Hmmm, I have remember bound to F7 which I use extensively for creating
notes.  How hard would it be to modify the remember function to
discern when point is currently on a task, and then create note linked
to that task instead of the normal remember function of just creating
a non-task related note?

>> Hoping you could give some advice on implementing Emacs/Planner in my
>> situation. I regularly use a Windows PC and an OS X Mac at work. Same
>> thing at home. I'm transitioning away from the Windows machines so
>> hopefully soon, will be on a Mac at work and a Mac at home. Any
>> suggestions for the most efficient setup to be able to use common
>> planner files in both locations? I typically do my daily planning in the
>> morning before I head to work. Most of my task and note entry takes
>> place during the day on my work machine.

I have my entire home directory under revision control (using
subversion).  This allows me to have my planner pages accessible to
anywhere that has net access, since all I need to do is check them out
to that system.  Some have used unison to keep files in sync between
two systems, but that lacks the rev control aspect, which I like for
experimentation :)

I can check out my planner dir at home, play around with new features,
etc, hack them until I get them just right, all the while not caring
if I am mangling my planner files, since I can just check out the
lastest (or any) rev from subversion.  You could do the same thing
with unison, I'm sure, but since my entire life is under rev control,
it was just easier to use the same tool for planner than learn another
one :)

--

Seeya,
Paul