[emms-help] Re: cvs vs packaged

From: Lucas Bonnet
Subject: [emms-help] Re: cvs vs packaged
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 15:46:47 +0200

Angelina Carlton <address@hidden> writes:
> I downloaded the cvs source files and issued the "make" command:

That's the first step to CVS addiction ! :)

[...]

> While compiling toplevel forms in file
> /home/orchid/src/emms/emms-info-later-do.el:
>   !! Symbol's function definition is void
>   ((cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro))
> Done
> make: *** [emms-info-later-do.elc] Error 1
>
> I am not sure what that last error means and if it affects the rest of
> the .el files.

It means that there was an error during the byte-compilation of
later-do.el. It's not critical, Emacs can live pretty well with non
byte-compiled files. I usually don't bother compiling EMMS, and I don't
even know if it's byte-compilable at all.

I have the same error, so I'd say that it's not your fault ;)

> Sorry to be such a newbie but I am used to using ./configure then make
> and chasing down configure errors.

Elisp packages don't require to be byte-compiled. They're just a bit
faster to load. (load != run).

My advice : don't byte-compile it :)

Regards,
--