[emms-help] Re: ido-mode patch to emms-source-file.el

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [emms-help] Re: ido-mode patch to emms-source-file.el
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:21:46 +0200

Lucas Bonnet <address@hidden> writes:

> What does ido provide, for the user ? Could you describe a typical
> use of ido in Emacs, and in EMMS ? (no matter the spelling :)

>From `emacs/lisp/ido.el':

   As you type in a substring, the list of buffers or files currently
   matching the substring are displayed as you type.  The list is
   ordered so that the most recent buffers or files visited come at
   the start of the list.

   The buffer or file at the start of the list will be the one visited
   when you press RETURN.  By typing more of the substring, the list is
   narrowed down so that gradually the buffer or file you want will be
   at the top of the list.  Alternatively, you can use C-s and C-r (or
   the right and left arrow keys) to rotate buffer or file names in the
   list until the one you want is at the top of the list.

   Completion is also available so that you can see what is common to
   all of the matching buffers or files as you type.

   Example:

   If I have two buffers called "123456" and "123", with "123456" the
   most recent, when I use ido-switch-buffer, I first of all get
   presented with the list of all the buffers

         Buffer:  {123456,123}

   If I then press 2:
         Buffer: 2[3]{123456,123}

   The list in {...} are the matching buffers, most recent first
   (buffers visible in the current frame are put at the end of the
   list by default).  At any time I can select the item at the head of
   the list by pressing RET.  I can also bring the put the first
   element at the end of the list by pressing C-s or [right], or put
   the last element at the head of the list by pressing C-r or [left].

   The item in [...] indicates what can be added to my input by
   pressing TAB.  In this case, I will get "3" added to my input.

   So, I press TAB:
         Buffer: 23{123456,123}

   At this point, I still have two matching buffers.
   If I want the first buffer in the list, I simply press RET.  If I
   wanted the second in the list, I could press C-s to move it to the
   top of the list and then RET to select it.

   However, if I type 4, I only have one match left:
         Buffer: 234[123456] [Matched]

   Since there is only one matching buffer left, it is given in [] and we
   see the text [Matched] afterwards.  I can now press TAB or RET to go
   to that buffer.

   If however, I now type "a":
         Buffer: 234a [No match]
   There are no matching buffers.  If I press RET or TAB, I can be
   prompted to create a new buffer called "234a".

   Of course, where this function comes in really useful is when you
   can specify the buffer using only a few keystrokes.  In the above
   example, the quickest way to get to the "123456" file would be
   just to type 4 and then RET (assuming there isn't any newer buffer
   with 4 in its name).

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>

    So really, we all have to ask ourselves:
    Am I waiting for RMS to do this?   --TTN.