Re: tag editing

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: tag editing
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 20:54:19 +0200

Grant Shoshin Shangreaux <grant@churls.world> writes:

>>> 1. add a shim for TagLib to write to files (beyond me at the moment)
>>
>> this one is probably easy to do.  The current Taglib shim
>> (emms-print-metadata) can be extended to support tag updates as well.
>> I can help with that if needed.
>
> That would be fantastic. I can continue with tracktag as well, it might
> be useful since it is installable with a package manager for users who
> might not go the length of compiling the emms-print/write-metadata
> helpers. no rush on this, i've solved my immediate problem of writing
> tags to opus files, but would be glad to contribute to any wider
> solution!

Yes I also agree that something that is available from distribution
repositories is preferable.  Building and installing emms-print-metadata
with its dependencies is not exactly easy for novices, though it is not
rocket science either.

Just let me know if you decide to go with taglib and need help with it.
It is mostly just a matter of defining the interface between the shim
and EMMS. Actual C++ implementation should be straightforward.

thanks,
Petteri