Re: emms-player-mpv-update-metadata

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: emms-player-mpv-update-metadata
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:40:19 +0500

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:15:52 -0400
Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:

> Can you provide guidance for using `emms-player-mpv-update-metadata' to
> get icy tags from streams? If you provide some code samples I can use
> those to flesh out a new section in the manual.

It's obviously just a boolean customize-setting, defined as

  (defcustom emms-player-mpv-update-metadata nil
    "Update track info (artist, album, name, etc) from mpv events, when it is
played.
  This allows to dynamically update stream info from ICY tags, for example.
  Uses `emms-player-mpv-event-connect-hook' and
`emms-player-mpv-event-functions' hooks."
    :type 'boolean

Which is supposed to be customizable interactively via the usual
"customize" or "customize-group emms-player-mpv" interactive commands.

I set it via:
  (custom-set-variables '(emms-player-mpv-update-metadata t t))

And it should obey all the usual rules wrt customizable vars in emacs.

But trying interactive customize just now myself, found that
"emms-player-mpv" group might be missing (defgroup ...) definition
and signals error on rendering its two values with :set handler.

Not sure why latter happens - pretty sure it used to work,
will need to look into it a bit later.
Might be related to lexical binding change or changes in emacs.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net