Re: Long delay with HTTPS streams

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Long delay with HTTPS streams
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:32:22 -0400

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> There seems to be an issue with my Emacs Emms setup when playing HTTPS
> radio streams.
>
> tl;dr: It takes a long delay of about 1 minute before an HTTPS stream
> starts when played via Emms on my system. HTTP streams are fine,
> i.e. they're played almost instantaneously. Both HTTP and HTTPS streams
> are fine if played with mpv from the command line.

The delay is most certainly to do with the other players. If the player
list is just mpv then you should either playing or an ipc error message.

> Find my setup below, together with a brief description of how the
> problem can be reproduced on my system.
>
> - mpv 0.33.1
> - Emacs 27.2
> - GNU/Emms 7.5
>
> My Emms configuration follows, as taken from my init.el:
>
> ,----
> | (require 'emms-setup)
> | (emms-all)
> | (emms-default-players)
> | (require 'emms-mode-line)
> | (emms-mode-line 1)
> `----
>
> HTTP and HTTPS streams work fine (i.e. they get loaded and start playing
> almost instantaneously) if played with mpv via the command line:
>
> ,----
> | mpv http://example.com/example-stream
> | mpv https://example.com/example-stream
> `----

My first guess is that this has to do with whether the track has a
`streamlist' or `url' type in emms, which will then determine if mpv
gets a "loadlist" or "loadfile" command.