Re: How to show the metadata when listening to audio streams?

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: How to show the metadata when listening to audio streams?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 05:10:03 +0500

On Fri, 06 Aug 2021 18:20:57 -0500
Rodrigo Morales <rodrigo.morales@utec.edu.pe> wrote:

> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> (*track*
>   (type . streamlist)
>   (name . "http://www.somafm.com/beatblender.pls";)
>   (metadata "SomaFM: Beatblender" "http://www.somafm.com/beatblender.pls"; 1
> streamlist))
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> =(emms-playlist-track-at (point))= is able to get the name of the stream
> because the file =~/.config/emacs/emms/streams.emms= (which is created by
> the function =emms-streams-install=) contains this metadata.
>
> * The question
>
> As I shown before in the #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE block, the URL is shown for
> each stream in the "Emms Streams" buffer. I am now wondering how I can
> show the name (which is stored in the metadata) for each stream in the
> playlist buffer.
>
> I would like to do this because I usually listen to audio streams
> using EMMS and having a custom name for each stream would make the
> playlist buffer more readable than having the URL.

I think something like this might do it:

  (defun my-emms-track-desc (track)
    (or
      (let ((meta (emms-track-get track metadata))) (when meta (car meta)))
      (emms-track-simple-description track)))
  (setq emms-track-description-function 'my-emms-track-desc)

Idea there is to use first string from the "metadata" attribute that
you have attached to the track, if it's there, and otherwise just
fallback to default emms-track-simple-description generator.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net