Re: How to show the metadata when listening to audio streams?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: How to show the metadata when listening to audio streams?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 12:50:12 -0400

> As I shown before in the #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE block, the URL is shown for
> each stream in the "Emms Streams" buffer. I am now wondering how I can
> show the name (which is stored in the metadata) for each stream in the
> playlist buffer.
>
> I would like to do this because I usually listen to audio streams
> using EMMS and having a custom name for each stream would make the
> playlist buffer more readable than having the URL.

Customize your `emms-track-description-function'. You can add a `cond'
with something like:

(cond
 ((eq (emms-track-type track)
      'streamlist)
  (format "%-42s(%s)"
            (car (emms-track-get track 'metadata))
            (emms-track-get track 'name)))
 )

To control how the buffer is initially created.

If you use mpv's metadata update, then you'll lose that, but it will
definitely be more readable to begin with.