fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Logging out as a user

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Logging out as a user
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:50:33 -0400

Hi Brett,

Currently, Fabric's operations like run() and sudo() just look at
env.host_string to determine which connection to use (and these are
cached.)

So to force a new connection as a different user, simply set
env.host_string to address@hidden:current_port, and subsequent
calls to operations will use that new connection. (Eventually the
other env vars will be more intelligently used -- right now they're
used for defaults or are effectively read-only.)

A one-time overwrite of that setting will make the switch for the rest
of the session/script; or you can use the context manager to effect
the change only for a single block of code, e.g.:

    @hosts('address@hidden')
    def foo():
        # Connecting as userA
        run('something')
        sudo('something else')
        with settings(host_string='address@hidden'):
            # Connecting as userB
            run('something as user B')
        # Connecting as userA again
        run('yet another something')

For more details on how host connections work, see the 'Usage docs'
section of docs.fabfile.org.

Best,
Jeff