fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] RE: A few questions about fabric

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] RE: A few questions about fabric
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:43:16 -0400

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Yungwei Chen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is setting up automatic login for each ssh-connected machine required?
> User 'root' is usually not allowed to log into another machine using ssh. In
> this case, what do people usually do to run fab files?
> Thanks again.

This is an SSH issue, not a Fabric specific one, FYI. If you're asking
about what the SSH best practice is, typically you might set up a
normal user on the remote end who has "sudo" privileges (so they can
do root-y things when necessary) and then connect as that user. Having
the root user turned off for SSH logins is typically a good thing to
have security-wise.

You can also use SSH keys and an agent (on your local workstation) to
get passwordless logins to servers that are configured correctly.
Google around for "ssh key authentication" :) there's a million
tutorials out there.

Hope that helps,
Jeff