fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] News

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] News
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:01:16 +0200 (SAST)

Hi all,

On Friday I spoke to Andy Buffler who is a lecturer in the physics
department here at UCT. He does research in physics education
(http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/courses/dept/phyedu.htm). He has agreed to add
his weight as a guest editor of sorts once we have finished the physics
section. This will help us obtain credibility.

I also received email from Prof Rochford in education and he is quite keen
for us to allow his class to crit the electrostatics chapter. We need a
final draft by tomorrow evening but I think it will be fine.

Overall I think physics is well on its way to a first draft. Most of the
chapters have their core content. Its the applications that are in the
syllabus that need adding but that will be simple enough. We need to
get going on waves (Sahal : how is this going?), rectilinear motion and a
chapter on the atom. All the
other chapters need editing and worked examples. A physics draft should be
around in 2 months.

Now on to maths. Any suggestions as to how to get going on the maths
section. I have a relatively large number of hand-written worked examples
for all the sections. So I can start typing them in but I am not super
keen to write explanations.

Maybe a subset of us can start working on one of the maths chapters.
Marc was keen on helping with the maths, any idea where you would like to
start?

Cheers,

Mark Horner

Physics Department
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch
7700
South Africa

Phone: +27 21 650 3366 (office)
Phone: +27 83 564 6272 (cellular)
Fax:   +27 21 650 3342

Homepage:
http://hep.phy.uct.ac.za/~horner

Co-author:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

"It went well. There are no problems, and, as a bonus, it showed that I
have a brain!"
- Stormers and Springbok backrower CORNE KRIGE speaking after undergoing a
precautionary brain scan after a clash of heads during a Super 12 match.