fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] Great News!

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] Great News!
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:16:49 +0200 (SAST)

Hi all,

After spending 45 minutes with Prof. Rochford's class I think we convinced
him we are serious. His offer:

During the course of next year his class will work through all the
chapters as a class ensuring that the layout etc. meet the requirements of
the new syllabus. These requirements seem a bit absurd to me (things like
categorising every paragraph etc.) so I think that we should try to write
a good text and then let them edit it to fit the syllabus (saves us time
and lends the final text credibility in the eyes of the government). He
would also like to support us in any proposals we write for support.

I am considering forking the text at that stage - so we have the book as
we would like it to be and a branch as the SA government would like it to
be.

Prof Rochford and Andy Buffler have worked together on a number of
projects. He supports the idea of going to the Shuttleworth Foundation for
some funding and with Andy on board and a physics text nearly complete we
should be able to produce an extremely good case.

So once physics is looking a bit better (a couple of months) we'll draw up
a proposal and send it in. I will, before then, approach the dean of
science for a letter of support as well.

I see absolutely no reason why we can't do the same for maths I just need
to get to chat to the maths guy in education. I have his contact details
and will do so soon.

Mark Horner

Physics Department
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch
7700
South Africa

Phone: +27 21 650 3366 (office)
Phone: +27 83 564 6272 (cellular)
Fax:   +27 21 650 3342

Homepage:
http://hep.phy.uct.ac.za/~horner

Co-author:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

"It went well. There are no problems, and, as a bonus, it showed that I
have a brain!"
- Stormers and Springbok backrower CORNE KRIGE speaking after undergoing a
precautionary brain scan after a clash of heads during a Super 12 match.