firefly-dev

Re: [Firefly-dev] sql file.........

From: firefly-dev
Subject: Re: [Firefly-dev] sql file.........
Date: 31 Mar 2003 11:18:03 +0200

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 08:21, address@hidden wrote:

> Marco, I see that you have added a file. I personally do now know sql. I
> was wondering if you could explain alittle about this program and if you
> could also let us know if we need to get MySQL running on our machines
> to test out your code. Thank you,

sorry, you're right.
The code in the file is still not completely working, some parts are ok
but others needs to be completed and modified.
It is designed for PostgreSql database, but it is very easy to switch to
MySql at this stage.
However, since db is getting more complex than I thought, I don't know
if it is a good idea to switch to mysql.

To complete the db I need to read more documentation about books
classification system, unfortunately there are plenty of them for
narrative books and I don't know if it is a good idea to create a system
of our own since this is not an easy thing.
There are books that only talks about this matter...

For essaystic (?? I don't know if this term is correct ;) books is
easier since there are only two systems very widely adopted, right now
db should works with both of them.

I'm also writing some scripts (still not in cvs and also they are in php
at the moment) to test insert and selection of books from the db.
I'm quite satisfied with performance at the moment, it tooks less than
0.5 seconds to search for a partial title in a table with 100.000
records.

As soon as I have finished with tests I'll let you know how to setup
everything.
I'm sorry but db is getting more more complex than I thought, maybe I
understimated it a little.

Marco