[fluid-dev] kaaaabooom, Was: Jamming with FluidSynth :)

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: [fluid-dev] kaaaabooom, Was: Jamming with FluidSynth :)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:18:49 +0200

Hi Josh,

I'm pulling in this old mail from the iiwusynth-devel mailing list.

All the parameters for the reverb - roomsize, damp, width, level -
should be between 0 and 1. It seems like Swami allows values
outside that range. I changes the reverb module in FluidSynth: it now
clips the values to the allowed range.

You were right that the kaaaabooom problem comes from the filter and not
the reverb. In particular, the filter interpolation seemed to cause the
noise. The coefficients are now interpolated over one synthesis buffer
(64 samples) instead of two buffers. This solved it.
However, I can't find any bug in the interpolation code so I assume
that the filter somehow becomes instable. IIRC, the direct form of the
filter that Markus introduced is stays stable when the coefficients are
interpolated. So it could be a problem with round off erros, or so.

Can you check on your side whether this change effectively removed the
problem?

Cheers!
Peter

BTW: I've been using Swami CVS (HEAD branch) a lot today. It rocks!