Re: [fluid-dev] Setting the settings

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Setting the settings
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:00:11 +0200

Frank Barknecht wrote:
Hallo,

I'm currently trying to port my iiwu Pd externals to fluid. The old
one used the intterface of iiwu-0.6. Now I'm struggling a bit with
getting the new settings right. I'm especially interested in how to
create a synth/settings combination with direct audio output off. It was this way:
  pd_fluid_settings->flags        &= ~FLUID_AUDIO;
  pd_fluid_settings->sample_format = FLUID_FLOAT_FORMAT;

Now I could tried this just by guessing:

  fluid_settings_setstr(pd_fluid_settings, "audio.driver", "float");
  fluid_settings_setnum(pd_fluid_settings, "synth.sample-rate", Samplerate() );

That's it. However, there's no need to set "audio.driver" since the
audio driver code has been moved out of the synthesizer object.
The settings that you may be interested in are (with their default
values):

synth.midi-channels      16
synth.polyphony          256
synth.sample-rate        44100.000000
synth.gain               0.200000
synth.chorus.active      yes
synth.reverb.active      yes
synth.ladspa.active      no

I currently cannot test if this works, because although the external
loads, it complains about a missing symbol: "add_history" which comes
from the readline interface. I don't want to use readline, how can I
get rid of it? I suppose, this also needs to be specified within the
settings struct?

You can get rid of readline support at compile time:

  ./configure --with-readline=no

I attached the full code, which is a Pd/Max external using flext.

I took a quick look and it looks good to me. Just one thing,
FluidSynth can handle sampling rates != 44100 without being out
of tune. Only the reverb may sound a bit different.

Drop a line when fluid~ is running so we can add a note about
it on the FluidSynth web site.

Ciao

ciao