Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth setup questions

From: Garett Shulman
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth setup questions
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:02:17 -0600

Hello Piotr, I would suspect that you are swaping out memory pages. You can use the free command to check on your memory usage. Fluidsynth loads all of the sample data into memory, wheras gigastudio only loads the first couple of seconds of a sample into memory. You may also consider using linuxsampler if this turns out to be the case. It behaves more like gigastudio in this regard. HTH. -Garett

Piotr Sawicki wrote:

Hi,
I use fluidsynth 1.05 and qsynth 0.2.2 with qjackctl with mdk 10.1. My
PC i pentium 4 1.7GB processor with 1024MB of RAM.

I was previuosly using giga studio and as far I remember I could load
sounds and play through a sequencer a whole orchestra.

But in fluidsynth after loading four instruments, the sound hangs, so I
wonder if it is  a matter my fluid/qsynth setup or qjackctl setup?

Is it at all possible to have so many voices played from fluidsynth?

I think it is due to fluidsynth CPU power consumption, so how to lower
the consumption with the same amount of voices?

Thanks
Piotr