Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth router rules and fluidsynth MIDI channels

From: Jim Henry
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth router rules and fluidsynth MIDI channels
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 07:27:29 -0700

To use more than 16 channels you have to call FluidSynth directly through its API rather than communicating with MIDI messages. A MIDI message is limited to a range of 0-15 (4 bits) for the channel number. There is nothing FluidSynth can do to overcome that. You have to use additional MIDI devices to get more than 16 channels. I don't know if a single instance of FluidSynth can present itself as more than one MIDI device.

Jim Henry

Lutz Morelater wrote:
2.) My second question is about the MIDI channels in fluidsynth.

It is possible to tell fluidsynth how many MIDI channels it should use (by adding the -K option in the command line during startup). If I use, let's say, 20 channels in fluidsynth, how can I tell fluidsynth to do a preset change on channel 20 and similar commands that involve a MIDI channel as a parameter (which normally cannot be greater than 16).

Kind regards and thx for any hint,
Lutz.