Re: [fluid-dev] Using Qsynth 0.3.3 in Windows with MIDI Yoke

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Using Qsynth 0.3.3 in Windows with MIDI Yoke
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:10:52 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Graham Goode  wrote:
> I'm looking for information regarding the windows version of
> fluidsynth, particularly the use of winmidi devices. In the Qsynth
> 0.3.3 [bundled with fluidsynth 1.0.8 (patched)] settings screen one
> selects the MIDI driver - winmidi, and then there is a text box for
> the MIDI device. Leaving the MIDI device blank or inserting the word
> 'default' works, linking fluidsynth with the 'In From MIDI Yoke: 1'
> port. How does one select another MIDI port using the MIDI device text
> box? What are the winmidi options that can be used? If I insert 'In
> From MIDI Yoke: 2' I get an error message... any ideas would be
> appreciated.

The fluidsynth library bundled with QSynth-3.3 is not the official
1.0.8 fluidsynth, but a patched version. The original fluidsynth-1.0.8
doesn't allow to select the winmidi device at all. The patch has been
posted here:

About your question. You need to find the exact winmidi device name,
and write the name into the text box, including the exact number of
blank spaces and punctuation. The next QSynth version will allow to
choose the name from a combo box (you can test the CVS version if you
want to try this system). The available device names can be obtained
with the MIDI-OX program, for instance the menu command View->Device
Info displays the following list into the MIDI-OX Monitor Output in my
system:

 DEVICE INFORMATION
 IN:   1) MIDI Yoke NT:  1
 IN:   2) MIDI Yoke NT:  2
 IN:   3) MIDI Yoke NT:  3
 IN:   4) MIDI Yoke NT:  4
 IN:   5) MIDI Yoke NT:  5
 IN:   6) MIDI Yoke NT:  6
 IN:   7) MIDI Yoke NT:  7
 IN:   8) MIDI Yoke NT:  8
 OUT:  1) Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
 OUT:  2) MIDI Yoke NT:  1
 OUT:  3) MIDI Yoke NT:  2
 OUT:  4) MIDI Yoke NT:  3
 OUT:  5) MIDI Yoke NT:  4
 OUT:  6) MIDI Yoke NT:  5
 OUT:  7) MIDI Yoke NT:  6
 OUT:  8) MIDI Yoke NT:  7
 OUT:  9) MIDI Yoke NT:  8

The name I need to open the fourth device is "MIDI Yoke NT:  4"
(without the quotes). There are *two* spaces between the colon and the
number 4.

Hope this helps.
Pedro