Re: GPOS support available!

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GPOS support available!
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:10:38 GMT

> how are ligatures supposed to be done with FT ?
> Am I right in imagining it like the API for kerning,
> i.e. I call a function with a string of characters
> and the function returns either a glyph for the whole
> string (so that ligatures are being counted for already)
> or return a list of glyphs. For example I call
>
> list<glyph> layout(list<character>);
>
> where the input list<character> is 'O','f','f','i','c','e';
> and the return list<glyph> is 'O','ffi','c','e';

What you describe here is an OpenType feature -- TrueType tables don't
offer such a capability.

The usual way is to check whether a given OpenType font has support
for the target script/language (say, latin script `lat', default
language system).  Then you will get a list of so-called `features'
available, e.g. for subscript or superscript glyphs etc.  Among them,
you will find a feature called `liga'.  This will do what you want.

Please look at ftstrtto to see how it works in detail.