Re: T1 vs. CID

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: T1 vs. CID
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:51:12 +0000 (GMT)

> > CID-keyed fonts aren't Type 1 fonts (CID font types 1, 2, 3, and 4
> > are PS font types 9, 10, 11, and 32, respectively).  Thus I
> > suggest to rename the file src/cid/t1errors.h to
> > src/cid/ciderror.h, and using the prefix CID_Err_ instead of
> > T1_Err_.
> >
> > Similarly, I want to have separate tracing enums for each font
> > driver -- currently, CID and T1 share the same values.
> >
> > I think this improves orthogonality.
> >
> OK, I'll let you do the changes since I'll be off for a bit less
> than a week ;-)

I haven't done anything yet except formatting to study the code.  And
meanwhile I think we have to modularize the drivers first before doing
this.

> > Wouldn't it be better to make generic AFM support an extra
> > component instead of having CIDafm and T1afm files?
> >
> Probably, and it'd be interesting to also provide CID CMap file
> support in this extra component..

In earlier versions of FT2, there were a directory called `t1shared'.
I think this should be reintroduced to avoid duplication of code in
the CID and CFF modules.  But this is a very delicate
thing... Something for you, David :-)