[Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] Re: Distiller produced PFA problems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:31:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> The main question: Is a Type 1 font without a FontInfo dictionary a
> valid Type 1 font?  If not, just produce an error.

I looked at the Type 1 spec.  I did not see any information on whether the
FontInfo dictionary is required or not. :( I'll ask Adobe's font support person.
I suspect that the FontInfo dictionary is optional, as witnessed by the fact
that Adobe's products have no problem with missing FontInfo dictionaries.

> > What should these defaults be?  If we don't add defaults, perhaps we
> > ought to make the return value alongs the lines of
> > FT_Error_Missing_FontInfo and leave it up to the user of FreeType to
> > supply what they think are reasonable values...
>
> Exactly.

But how to do this?  Defer the return of the above error code until the font is
fully parsed?  Provide a function that the developer can use to fill in the
missing values? usw...

Tom