Re: [Devel] Problem with backslash

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problem with backslash
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:59:41 +0200

En/Na Werner LEMBERG ha escrit:

> > I'm new to the GNU/Unix world and have encountered a little
> > quirk. When a line continuation character followed by CrLf is
> > encountered by the gcc compiler, it posts and error on the data
> > following the back slash.
>
> Strange.  gcc on a CRLF platform should accept this line endoing (and
> even LF only, IIRC) without problems.

You are correct (even for LF).

I believe Mike is on a LF platform, and that his source is in CRLF
form. And this is where he does have problem.

I find strange that a typical gcc-on-Unix do stumble on \ + CRLF
and fails to recognize this as the continuation character, but
I am not able to easily reproduce the configuration to check in vivo.

By the way, Mike, which version of gcc? (gcc -v gives the answer)
The most recent ones do switch from the classical separate cpp to the
integrated cpplib; and perhaps this is the root of your problem.

> > When I change the \CrLf to a \Lf, it's ok. I'm guessing this is a
> > unix verses dos type difference. All of the freetype files that I
> > have use the \CrLf version. Does someone know of a switch that will
> > tell gcc what's going on or is there a unix version that I can
> > download so that I don't have to modify all of the files?
>
> The file archives ending with `.tar.gz' use LF.  You need the programs
> `gunzip' and `tar' (or similar tools) to unpack such files.

On similar point, but for the reversed point of view: on DOS/Windows,
most tools will give you LF-ended files on your disks, which is fine
for most tools, except perhaps some editors (compilers are almost
all happy with LF-ended files), BUT which will fail to print correctly
(I am OFTEN bitten by this one :-( ). My usual workaround is to use
Winzip to uncompress the files, it does a good job at guessing when the
file inside the .tar archive is really a text file, and then convert
the LF line-endings into CRLF.

Hope this helps,

Antoine