Re: [Devel] Bug in FT New Memory Face?

From: Michael Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bug in FT New Memory Face?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:03:46 +0000

Hello David,

>> Now I wanted to optimize this application and read
>> the font file as it is already in memory with
>> FT_New_Memory_Face(), but know the application crashes
>> or FT_Load_Glyph() returns with error code 2945.

>> Is this a known bug?
>>
>No, but the bug your describing seems very strange. If you're on Unix,
>the stream implementation automatically uses memory-mapped files, so
>using FT_New_Memory_Face shouldn't change anything to the program's
>behaviour.

I develop under BeOS and AFAIK it does not support memory-mapped I/O.

I think it was my fault to free the memory for the font file after
the call of FT_New_Memory_Face(). I thought this was safe because
the documentation for FreeType 2 does not mention that
FT_New_Memory_Face possesses the memory for the font file.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Michael