Re: [Devel] Translation Project and FreeType

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Translation Project and FreeType
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:56:59 +0200

Halo Karl,

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Antoine Leca <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I am the last person that did any translation work for French (a bit)
> > and Spanish (much more extensively), so I probably qualify to join there.
> > However, I am concerned by the requirement to place all my (translation)
> > work under FSF copyright. I do understand that this is correct according
> > to the GNU project, but I do fail to see why this requirement shall be
> > enforced for a project (like ours) which do not require any disclaimer
>
> For projects like freetype disclaimers are not required and it isn't
> necessary to transfer the copyright to the FSF.

Good to know.

> But please add a clear
> notice to the header of your translation that you've put your file in
> the Public Domain (or something like that).

OK, this is something I will think about.
If I understand what you wrote correctly, you meant this is a requirement
to allow anybody else to further modify the .po file at a further stage
of the process. Right?

> If a document under http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/ isn't
> clear enough about this issue, please tell us about it: we'd like to
> improve the project description!

The issue of non-GNU projects is certainly not clearly covered at the
moment in the web site. Unfortunately, I currently lack the time to
design what are the needed changes, according to me (modest, isn't it?)
[François, je suis vraiment désolé de ne pas pouvoir aider.]
Smiles apart, what are the current proportion of non-GNU projects?

> > (BTW, it is not clear to me if the acceptance of my resignation of
> > copyright rights toward FSF is really needed to "submit" the job
> > already done for freetype 1.3.x).
>
> It's a little bit hairy to transfer available translations to the
> Translation Project.

Now I fell I missed something. You contacted us some days ago, about
incorporation of freetype-1 in your project.  freetype is a library,
so basically the bulk of .po[t] contains the messages for the test
programs, which means that if they are not up to date, this is not
quite a problem; in addition, there are 78 error messages that pertain
to the library, which really ought to be translated; but as Werner
told you, freetype-1 is a frozen project, for almost 2 years now.
This means that if there are any modification, it will *not* concern
the error numbers/messages for the library. So the real benefit
to add freetype to your project is rather to have more translations;
to make this clear, we should mark the available translations as
"done", rather than the current status of "to be done"...
<URL:http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/registry.cgi?domain=freetype>
So I believed we should "submit" the available translations, in order
to mark them as done (this will allow the national team to share our
views about the various typographic-related terms we use, surely a good
thing). If there is another track to achieve the same
goal, please indicate it.

> We don't have to distinctive roadmap for this kind of action at the
> moment.  OTOH, it's possible to release pieces of work
> under several licenses as long a the Copyright owner(s) agree(s) to do
> so.

Agreed, but I think this may complicate quite a bit the task of TP-robot...
Meanwhile, you have a very good point that I should verify that the
current translations, which are currently marked as copyrighted by the
various first-time translators, are in fact either public-domain or
something related, or else covered by the Freetype license (a BSD-like
one, which therefore allows modification).

Thanks for your interest in Freetype.

Antoine