Re: [Devel] Need faster access

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Need faster access
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike,

FreeType2 has a .FON driver, so you could load up a Windows .FON file
using the FT2 API (just like for CFF/Type 1 fonts).

Alternatively, you may be able to use the embedded bitmaps in the TT font
(if the TT font has them).  The macro one can use to see if the font has
fixed size bitmaps is FT_IS_FIXED_SIZES.  There is more documentation of
this in freetype.h.  The basic idea is to load the glyphs with FT_Load_Glyph
using a flag value of FT_LOAD_NO_OUTLINE.  See the demo program ftsbit.c
(in the ft2demos distribution) for more details.

Tom