Re: [Devel] New API function

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] New API function
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:05:47 -0400 (EDT)

I have commited the changes for the Type 1 driver.

TODO: make sure that these functions are never called for CID fonts.  This
is more of an issue for the CFF driver (which encapsulates both CID and
non-CID fonts) than it is for the Type 1 driver.  It makes no sense to have
glyph name to glyph index for a character (CID) fonts, as CID fonts do not
have glyph names.

In the case of CID fonts (either Type 1 or CFF), perhaps we could have a
CID to glyph index function.  The reasoning is as follows.  for Type 1 and
non-CID
CFF fonts, the function FT_Get_Name_Index can be used for when a font is
reencoded: First, make the new encoding vector.  Then use the names from
the new encoding vector to get glyph indices.  This allows for mapping
char codes to glyph indices  without having to build a new synthesized
charmap (which is what would have to be done if FT_Get_Char_Index were used).

The equivalent for a CID is rearrangment.  We would need to get glyph
indices for each CID for this to work.  Reasoning as above...

Tom