Re: [Devel] 2.1.0 branch created

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] 2.1.0 branch created
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:02:58 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, David Turner wrote:

> Humm.. it seems I goofed here :o) I propose the following, please
> tell me if this is correct:
>
>   - create a new branch from the current HEAD, called
>     "STABLE-2-0-6"
>
>   - get rid of "VER-2-1-0"
>
> would this be enough ??

Yes, more or less. A model compatible with the "spirit of CVS"
looks approximately like this crude picture:

  stable      stable                 stable
  release     release                release
  1.0 (R1-0)  1.1 (R1-1)             2.0 (R2-0)   current development
  ---+--------*---------+----+---------*------->  version (HEAD)
              |         |    ^         |
  maintenance +         |    |         + maintenance stable
  stable rel. |         +----+         | release 2.1 (R2-1)
  1.2 (R1-2)  |       experimental     |
              V       branch           V
        maintenance                 maintenance
        of release 1                of release 2
        (branch R1)                 (branch R2)

At points denoted with a asterisk, a branch where a particular line of
stable releases is maintained is forked off, and

There should be two kinds of tags: one kind is used to mark releases or
milestones (e.g. STABLE-2-0-6), and the other is used to label branches
(e.g. STABLE-2-0 or perhaps VER-2-0).

You should do the following things:
1. eliminate a branch called VER-2-1-0 (if it exists)
2. tag the version intented to be released as 2.0.6 with cvs tag
   (I guess you have already done it)
3. create a "maintenance" branch for 2.0 (say STABLE-2-0) with
   cvs tag -b

And everyone who wants to work on the old version should do
cvs checkout -r STABLE-2-0 to get a snapshot of its branch.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."