[Devel] 2.1.0 and mozilla 1.0rc1

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Subject: [Devel] 2.1.0 and mozilla 1.0rc1
Date: 24 Apr 2002 00:34:27 -0400

I just upgraded mozilla to 1.0rc1, as packaged by SuSE (ie with the
xft2 support compiled in).  The previous release had a bug (very
similar to a bug in early releases of Xft aware xterm, FWIW) leading
it to choose bold and/or italic fonts as base fonts.  As such, I've
not done much testing of its ft2 support until now.  It is dynamically
linked against /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 which in my case is currently
2.1.0 with bci on.  I've also configued mozilla to turn both autohinted
an unhinted off, so it will use the bci.

It mostly looks great.

I found one interesting thing.  I use georgia at 15px as the main text
font.  Georgia italic at 15 pixels has an interestingly rendered Y.
The upper right arm of the Y is entirely gray, and is essentially
invisible at normal text size.  (As a side note, some of the 'white'
px to the right of the gray px are in fact coloured fe,fe,fe.)

As a png is is only 522 octets, so I've included it below, blown up
forty times.

PNG image

I'm not sure what the right thing to do in this case is.  The
autohinted Y looks a bit better, but the instructed rendering of the
font as a whole is massively more legible and readable than the
autohinted or unhinted renderings.  At 17px and higher, though,
unhinted looks best.  Go figure.

Just wanted to put it out, minor issue though it is.

-JimC