Re: [Devel] default stem width and height for autohinting

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] default stem width and height for autohinting
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 19:26:20 +0400

On Friday 02 May 2003 12:42, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
|  The function `ah_hinter_compute_widths' relies on the existence of
|  glyph `o' in the font.  What about searching for alternative glyphs
|  depending on the font?  Especially in non-latin fonts, using `o' is a

Does autohinter use 'o' to calculate stem width and height (hstem, vstem) ?
This would be really surprise me (and explain some rendering artefacts in
current FT).
I think 'H' can be used for Vstem and Hstem values, and 'F'  - for HStem.
Widths of both horizontal and vertical stems in 'O' and ('C', 'o', 'c') are
higher than for 'H' (about 96 for H and 100 to 106 for O as VStem value in
PostScript coordinates /1000 units/ for typical Sans font)

On the other hand, I think autohinter should scan all Latin, Cyrillic, Greek
Unicode ranges, and take weighted values for HStem/Vstem using those ranges.
As far as Iknow, some font formats support different Hstem/Vstem values for
different Unicode ranges 9in particular - fro CJK ranges).
So indeed, Hstem/Vstem for CJK fonts should be calculated separatly .