Re: [Devel] default stem width and height for autohinting

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] default stem width and height for autohinting
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:20:20 +0200

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> The function `ah_hinter_compute_widths' relies on the existence of
> glyph `o' in the font.  What about searching for alternative glyphs
> depending on the font?  Especially in non-latin fonts, using `o' is a
> bad idea, since there a lot of fonts (especially CJK ones) which have
> extremely ugly shapes for ASCII since it is never used.  Even worse,
> the typographic properties can differ enormously between such ASCII
> glyphs and the real glyphs the font is used for.  The same problem
> exists for computing blue zones in `ah_hinter_compute_blues'.
>
> Perhaps it makes sense to derive different global autohinting
> properties depending on the character range.  For example, a
> hyphothetical Near East font contains glyphs for Hebrew, Arabic, and
> the latin script.  If a Hebrew glyph has to be rendered, global
> autohinting properties derived from Hebrew glyphs only should be used.
> The same holds for Arabic and latin glyphs.
>
> It shouldn't be too difficult to implement that.  The `blue_chars' has
> to become two-dimensional in some way, and we have to define leading
> characters for the various Unicode ranges to derive default stem width
> and height values.  For CJK, to name an example, a typical glyph could
> be the character for `ten': `十'.
>
> Has anybody already done some tests whether this really improves
> autohinting results?

Well, actually firefly's patch more or less does something similar
to what you describe, and I'm modifying the auto-hinter to
script-specific globals to be computed. The hard part is getting
all these things to run fast.

Hence the recent patch, which speeds up both stem recognition and
charmap iteration :-)

Cheers,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.