[Devel] ClearType-like results

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Subject: [Devel] ClearType-like results
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:41:30 +0400

Hi !

My question is simple - what should I do to achieve ClearType-like results in
subpixel-antialiased text rendering ? Is there any way do do aforementioned
rendering "MS style ?". After comparision of freetype and cleartype outputs,
main difference is: cleartype engine never "blends" main character shape, and
only adds brown/blue dots _around_ it. freetype's method, OTOH,
(or, at least, as I'm understanding it ) modifies even pixels that would be
black in non-anti-aliased mode. Resulting freetype output looks
"lighter", less brightness- and color-consistent and leads to ugly bugs
including missing "Z" diagonal in Times New Roman Italic, substantially
lighter right part of "k" in Tahoma and some other not-so-pleasant effects.
I've browsed through ftgrays.c (as I could understand, this is the
antialiasing engine of freetype) but haven't found any compile- or runtime
defines/settings to tune smoother's behavior.

--
With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru.