Re: [Devel] Re: my experience with 2.1.4

From: Emile van Bergen
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: my experience with 2.1.4
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:28:28 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:10:26AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > David, thanks for your update. I must say that it's *very*
> > disappointing that your FT_LOAD_TARGET_SMOOTH was not included in
> > the release. I can only hope that this decision will be reversed in
> > the next release. Your comparison clearly shows that in the *_LIGHT
> > mode, kerning is not only bad but *intolerably* bad.
>
> I think there is also a lot of personal taste involved.  Note that I'm
> not competent enough to make a decision how to proceed.  You have to
> wait until David is back again (which still can take a few weeks due
> to a heavy overload of work privately).  Sorry.

I think where personal taste is involved, this will probably have more
to do with the weight you prefer than with the the letter positioning
and the resulting word image of the _LIGHT case.

If you really like lighter text a lot, you might be inclined to prefer
the _LIGHT mode, even when the horizontal positioning doesn't make much
sense. I fully agree with the sentiment expressed by the first poster
there.

The _SMOOTH example looks like *text*, albeit a little black, the _LIGHT
one looks like ugly computer output, even when the weight is nicer.

I want properly positioned light text (with a sharp AA curve), dammit ;-))

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           address@hidden