RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:12:48 +0100

> It is called fonttosfnt and is in the cvs forrest at fdo in at
> least each of:
>
> ,----
> | xapps/fonttosfnt
> | xapps/meta-xapps/fonttosfnt
> | xorg/xc/programs/fonttosfnt
> `----
>
> I think I recall more duplicated from my last cvsup run, but I stopped
> searching after finding those three instances.
>
> It looks like the version in xapps is newer than the one in xorg.
> Keith is credited w/ some additions.
>
> cvs.freedesktop.org has the details and anoncvs/cvsup servers.
>
> The quickest was though is probably rsync:
>
> rsync://cvs.freedesktop.org/cvs/xapps/fonttosfnt/

Cool, I'll have a look. By the way, here's Keith Packard
post related to this tool, note the file size improvement. I can assure
you that heap usage will also be a lot lower:

  http://keithp.com/blog/fonts/fonttosfnt.html

Wonder what happened to the initiative to ditch the pcf.gz files.
It's probably a great idea.

Regards,

- David Turner

> -JimC
>
> [David:  apologies for the extra verbosity;
>          I thought it would benefit the archives.]

No problem here :-)