Re: [ft-devel] Bytecode interpreter?

From: GhePeU
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bytecode interpreter?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:49:45 +0100

Il giorno lun, 07-03-2005 alle 08:11 +0100, Werner LEMBERG ha scritto:
> > I've just compiled freetype2 cvs and as usually I followed
> > instructions to enable bytecode interpreter.  With my last snapshot
> > (20041231, the last snapshot I could download from the old site)
> > this worked, but now I see that freetype auto-hinter is used with
> > all fonts. Did I miss something?
>
> What exactly have you done?  For comparison purposes, you could say
>
>   make devel
>   make
>
> on a fresh CVS archive; this definitely activates the bytecode
> interpreter (it uses devel/ftoption.h instead of the default one).
> Then compile the ft2demos programs, start ftview, and switch the
> hinters with the `f' key.
>

>     Werner

I think I made a mistake, last night I checked only two applications and
I didn't notice that bytecode interpreter is enabled but doesn't work
anymore. I removed comments from

#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

in include/freetype/config/ftoption.h, then I launched autogen.sh and
'configure --prefix=/usr'. 'make devel' gives only "make: Nothing to be
done for `devel'.", 'make' compiles, 'make install' copy files in /usr.

Now this is what I get when I open a web page in Arial:

http://ghepeu.altervista.org/freetype2/arial-webpage.jpg

and this is rendering of Lucida Console:

http://ghepeu.altervista.org/freetype2/lucidaconsole.jpg

With ft2view I can see this:

http://ghepeu.altervista.org/freetype2/ft2view.jpg

and these are screenshots of what I see with my previous freetype
version:

http://ghepeu.altervista.org/freetype2/arial-webpage-ok.jpg
http://ghepeu.altervista.org/freetype2/lucidaconsole-ok.jpg

Menu fonts (Luxi Sans) are ok because I enable auto-hinting for all
fonts but a few ones (between them arial and lucida console) defined
in /etc/fonts/local.conf.
If this can help, I'm using xorg-x11 6.8.2 with cvs dri radeon drivers
on a radeon 7500 (chipset rv200).

Giacomo

--
When Adam delved and Eve span,