Re: [ft-devel] current cvs on suse 10

From: Hans-Peter Jansen
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] current cvs on suse 10
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:56:25 +0100

Am Montag, 21. November 2005 10:08 schrieb Turner, David:
> ello,
>
> the problem is different from what you think.
>
> - fontconfig is buggy and uses FreeType internals when it shouldn't
>
> - Suse's patch is a kludge to avoid fixing fontconfig

Well, I assumed this, too..

> - we're not transitioning from FT_EXPORT to FT_BASE. FT_EXPORT is
>   the only macro used to export public API names. FT_BASE is used
>   to tag "base" functions, which are only relevant if you write
>   a FreeType 2 module.

Ah, thanks for clarification.

> - there are already *two* patches to remove freetype internals
> dependencies for fontconfig. One I sent to Keith one or two months
> ago, another one by Matthias Clasen.
>
>   I don't know if they've been integrated or not, and if not, I don't
> know why.

Okay, will investigate a bit more in this direction.

> I'm still surprised to see that proper kerning depends on the stream
> interface.

I really don't know. All I wanted to say is, that in order to use the
current cvs with suse 10.0 without messing with more packages, some
mods were needed. I do not claim, that this is the right thing(tm) to
do. I do claim, that kerning looks broken with 2.1.10, and is much
better now with current cvs.

> I suspect that someone is accessing the font files
> directly instead of asking for a proper API in the font engine
> instead.

Thanks to yours and the other hints, I'm able to fix my/suse's hacks in
a better way, although it still stays dirty like in hell's kitchen..

Thanks again,
Pete

P.S.: it would be nice to keep the discussion on the list. Thanks.