[ft-devel] Freetype2/Subpixel Question (OpenSceneGraph)

From: Jeremy Moles
Subject: [ft-devel] Freetype2/Subpixel Question (OpenSceneGraph)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:53:11 -0500

Greetings all. :) I'm experimenting with enabling subpixel hinting in an
OpenSceneGraph application (which already has freetype2 support). I've
been using this information which, although it's from 2002, still seems
consistent with the API docs:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2002-11/msg00087.html

However, when I pass FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD to the FT_Load_Char function,
the fonts get rendered one on top of one another almost, and are
stretched and distorted. Here are some screenshots:

http://cherustone.com/no-autohint.png
http://cherustone.com/force-autohint-lcd.png

(The _only_ difference between these two screenshots is the
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD flag)

I wouldn't bother asking the lists for this, but I just wanted to know
if anyone has seen this before? Is it some kind of API misuse on my
part? Or, is it more likely the OSG rendering code needs to be changed
to "cope" with both types of glyphs? Are there any "gotchas" when
rendering using subpixel hinted glyphs as opposed to not? (I thought at
first the same code should work fine for both modes)

At any rate--thanks. :)