Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.0 release candidate 1 is available

From: Sean McBride
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.0 release candidate 1 is available
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:14:35 -0500

On 2007-01-11 12:52, David Turner said:

>There should be *no* break of ABI or API since the last two
>releases (2.2.1 and 2.1.10)

Except for ftmac.c.... right?  At least, depending on a *great many*
defines, some functions now *potentially* have different behaviour.  For
example:

<http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/freetype/freetype2/src/base/ftmac.c?
r1=text&tr1=1.48&r2=text&tr2=1.49&diff_format=l>

For example, FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() now always returns an error,
where before, depending on #defines, it may have done more.

This is the whole gutting of Mac OS 9 cruft that was discussed here
previously.

>Building/Installation volunteers are welcomed. I'm especially
>curious about warning messages happening during compilations on
>exotic platforms, since we try to *completely* prevent them in
>our official releases.

See:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg01648.html>

Additionally I have confirmed that RC1 builds on several different Mac
configs.

>CHANGES BETWEEN 2.3.0 and 2.2.1
>
> *SNIP*
>
>    - Better support for Mac  Fonts on POSIX systems, plus compilation
>      fixes for PPC64.

I think Suzuki-San's changes here may need elaboration.  Perhaps just
something along the lines of "if you use ftmac.c, please note that it is
now Mac OS X-only, and that some old APIs now return errors.  Thus your
code should still build unchanged, but may change in behaviour."

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden