Re: [ft] Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.0 release candidate 1 is available

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.0 release candidate 1 is available
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:15:34 +0100

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:14:35 -0500, "Sean McBride" <address@hidden> said:
> On 2007-01-11 12:52, David Turner said:
>
> >There should be *no* break of ABI or API since the last two
> >releases (2.2.1 and 2.1.10)
>
> Except for ftmac.c.... right?  At least, depending on a *great many*
> defines, some functions now *potentially* have different behaviour.  For
> example:

that's not exactly a "breakage". An ABI breakage is when installing a new
version of the library breaks other programs that depend on it (e.g. they
crash or refuse to start, due to unmet symbols/dependencies). An API
breakage is when existing sources can't compile with the new release of
a package anymore, because some ugly things happened in the public headers.

What you described my be flagged as a regression though, I don't know
exactly; what do you mean when you say that the function may have done
more previously ? Was it even a correct behaviour ?

Regards,

- David Turner