Re: [ft-devel] Any tool that visually present segments of autofit module

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Any tool that visually present segments of autofit module?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

>>> Are there any tool which visually present segments of autofit
>>> module?  Something like stems shown in the glyph view of fontforge.
>>
>> No, but I'll probably add this to ftgrid since it would be helpful
>> for my work on the ttfautohint stuff.  But it isn't an urgent
>> issue, and in case you have time to implement it I would be very
>> grateful :-)
>
> OK, I made a simple patch to draw the segment data. I have to copy
> afhints.h and aftypes.h to the src/ directory because I really need
> some structs from autofit/.

Thanks a lot!  Do you have time to refine the patch?

I very much dislike the use of afhints.h and aftypes.h within the user
space.  Could you instead add debug hooks to afhints.c which can be
used for communication?  The simplest form could be something like
these two functions:

  FT_Error
  af_glyph_hints_get_num_segments(AF_GlyphHints hints,
                                  int dimension,
                                  FT_Int* num_segments);

  FT_Error
  af_glyph_hints_get_segment_offset(AF_GlyphHints hints,
                                    int dimension,
                                    FT_Int idx,
                                    FT_Pos* offset);