Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint now has a GUI

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint now has a GUI
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:12:27 +0000

On 24/01/12 08:46, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
As a kde user, the qt dependency is a non-issue for me :p but... the
build is reliant on qt4.8, which is still pre-release, so even i
have to rebuild my whole qt libs to a non-stable state just for
ttfautohint.  Fun but overkill.
Sorry for that.  According to this

   http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/

Qt has been released more than a month ago.

Yes QT4.8 is released but it's use in actual linux distros is only found in developer/pre-release versions of kde. Stable release kde in the main distros currently is 4.7.* built on QT4.7 .

Using the qt library for ttfautohint is understandable, but i
suggest it needs to be aimed to build out of the box on the main
linux distros, at the very least.
I'll try to avoid a 4.8.0 dependency.

Out of interest, do we know what the situation would be for someone
porting ttfautohint to a cocoa etc build for osx?
Qt binary packages seem to be available for Cocoa:

   http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-for-open-source-cpp-development-on-mac-os-x/

I know many would want that.
It seems I have to delve into the cross compilation business.  Another
completely new frontier for me...

I would suggest the best way to go, if at all possible, is a native osx ttfautohint, rather than an X11 version . In the long run isn't that the most elegant solution? a linux/Qt built ttfautohint, and a, OSX/cocoa built ttfautohint?