Re: [ft-devel] TrueType hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] TrueType hinting
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:58:20 +0200 (CEST)

[JMINCHO.TTF omitted, original two images retained.  Please don't send
 such large fonts to the list.  I've received your mail privately, so
 I can respond.  Instead, please upload it somewhere else and give a
 link.]

> Does anyone know why the attached TrueType font is rendered
> incorrectly by FreeType at all point sizes unless hinting
> (i.e. using the flags FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING and FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT) is
> turned off?

I can't reproduce the problem with a recent ftview.  The font gets
always rendered fine.

> I have wondered that it might be related to the absence of a cvt
> table, as removal of this from one of the "tricky" fonts, which
> always require hinting, causes characters to appear as if hinting
> were not applied..

A TrueType font with hints not having a CVT table is indeed very
suspicious, but it shouldn't affect FreeType.  As mentioned above, for
me it displays OK.

    Werner

JPEG image

JPEG image