Re: [ft-devel] FTLicense Clarifications

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FTLicense Clarifications
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 08:00:13 +0100 (CET)

> 1. Only FreeType libraries will be redistributed, sources will not
>    be included.

OK, but ...

> 2. Our customers, which are developers, will have to link against
>    those FreeType libraries.

... normally you need FreeType header files also.  Does your API hide
FreeType completely?

> 3. The products that our customers will be creating will be sold to
>    their own customers.

OK.

> These are the following things that I understand we should do to
> conform with FTL.
>
> 1. Include the FTL.txt
> 2. Include the Copyright
> 3. Include a disclaimer
>
> 1. Including the FTL.txt file in our distribution package to our
>    customers will satisfy 1 and 2 above.  Is that correct?

You are certainly on the safe side if you do so, since it helps your
customers understand under which conditions the FreeType library can
be used.

> 2. When our customers link against FreeType libraries to create
>    their own products, do they have to satisfy the requirements of
>    the FTL?  More specifically, do our customers have to include the
>    FTL.txt, copyright notice and disclaimer in their products (their
>    possible products are game software such as software for
>    playstation, Wii, or apps for smart phone etc.)?

Including `FTL.txt' doesn't make sense for such cases – they are
delivering *final* products that are not intended for being re-used.
I think it is fully sufficient if your customers include a disclaimer,
as described in `FTL.txt', so that they acknowledge the FreeType
project.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to include the license file, in
case they already doing so for other components (cf. the `credits'
sections in smartphones).