Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 08:49:03 +0200 (CEST)

>> I don't care about ClearType in the slightest, I would just like my
>> Tahoma and Arial to be pixel perfect crispy as I am used to.
>>
>> I would also like to push for this to be solved at upstream, as I
>> am certainly not the only one who is having these problems.
>>
>> At least some fontconfig option, I can manually define for these
>> few fonts I depend on, would be helpful.
>
> I don't know of any other way than recompiling.  Fontconfig doesn't
> support the property and likely won't as it isn't a font-property
> but something that affects all TrueType fonts.  Cairo/Qt would need
> to go along with it, too.
>
> I don't know of a clean way to handle this in FreeType and I frankly
> have little interest in bringing the "old" look back to the
> foreground as I'm more of a DirectWrite/ClearType person :)

Hmm.  I can imagine to have (optional) environment variable support in
FreeType to provide default values for font driver properties, e.g.

  FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 \
                      cff:no-stem-darkening=1 \
                      autofitter:warping=1

What do you think?  Due to a linking problem on OS X I have to release
a new FreeType version quite soon, and I could add this rather easily
by implementing a hook into `FT_Init_FreeType' that simply calls
`FT_Property_Set'.

BTW, the next FreeType version will be 2.7.0 (actually, 2.6.4 should
already have been called 2.7.0 due to the new TT hinting engine level).