Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows (Re: Freetype-devel D

From: Nikolay Sivov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 138, Issue 9)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:00:23 +0300

On 07.07.2016 19:56, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> I don't seem to have the very beginning of this thread so it is a bit
> difficult to see what's going on, anyway, there are
> a few things I like to respond to...

> On Thu, 7/7/16, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>  From: Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden>
>
>> I think everyone with Wine installed has Microsoft's fonts
>  :)
>
> That's not true - BTW, I keep my wine installation quite up to date to wine's
> bi-weekly release schedule. My wine install has a couple of
> permanently-non-streamed patches, so I upgrade about once a month. Wine has
> had its own version of the MS fonts for many years now. They work okay, and
> are metric-identical to their genuine counter parts, I think. I do have the
> genuine Microsoft fonts in my hard disk, but they are not hooked up to my
> display system, at all.
> My display system uses the wine version of those fonts.

That's misleading. Wine only provides Tahoma, Tahoma Bold, and a couple
of symbol fonts - Symbol, Marlett, Wingdings. None of them are hinted,
for Tahoma we have embedded bitmaps for certain commonly used sizes.

Common scenarios of using MS fonts with Wine are:

- installed corefonts package because application explicitly wants
  certain specific font (original WPF framework for example);
- Microsoft Office, that installs a lot of fonts on its own.

So no, not everyone with Wine uses MS fonts, but it happens quite often.

If previous behaviour for engine v38 will be kept, it's easy to switch
over to it, if new code produces disturbing results with some of MS
fonts. And if it's unexpected results, it should be fixed imho.