Re: [ft-devel] C99, long long, and inline

From: The Regents
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] C99, long long, and inline
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 00:11:03 +1000

On 13/09/16 00:06, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
*inline*
Freetype smooth rasterizer is very nested. I seems to me that gcc
selects some inlining scheme. Does anyone know how to check this? I
would like to have some control over inlining, which can be useful for
performance tuning.

With -O2, it only considers functions declared inline, very small functions and functions called once. With -O3, any function can be inlined. In any case, functions may not be inlined.

Functions with __attribute__((always_inline)) are always inlined.
Functions with __attribute_((noinline)) are never inlined.

Anyway, I am for the jump to C99 in 2.8.

I think MSVC is still not fully C99-compliant. long long should be there, though.

MSVC will *never* be fully C-compliant because MS has decided it's not a C compiler