Re: [ft-devel] ftver.rc on Linux

From: Derek B. Noonburg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ftver.rc on Linux
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 10:50:51 -0700

On Tue, 8 May 2018 09:31:10 -0400
Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Derek B. Noonburg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > In any case, success of LT_PROG_RC doesn't imply that <windows.h>
> > exists, or that we want the DLL resource file at all -- it's
> > presumably not useful when building a Linux library.
>
> make RC='' would work around the issue for you. If windres is provided
> for cross-compilation, windows.h should be provided as well in a
> reasonable cross-compilation setup. I would not want to drop it from
> ftver.rc. It is true that it is only useful for DLL. I wonder if
> LT_INIT(win32-dll) defines something when successful.

Yes, ftver.rc certainly needs to include windows.h.  But I'm not
cross-compiling.  I'm doing a plain old native Linux build.  That tool
(windres) just happens to exist in /usr/bin.

The current test in builds/freetype.mk is (in pseudocode):

if (the configure script found "rc" or "windres")
    compile ftver.rc

Should it be something more like:

if (the build target is a Windows DLL)
    compile ftver.rc

I'm not sure how to test for that in the Makefile, but there's presumably
some way to do it (?)

I can work around the issue -- thanks for the "make RC=''" suggestion;
that's even simpler than my current workaround.  But I wonder if this
problem may bite someone else in the future.

- Derek