Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 08:19:09 +0200 (CEST)

>> I am looking at different themes for the rest of the website.
>> [...]
>
> This is good, especially the navbar toggle button :) [...]

Ankit, I'm really glad that you have an educated opinion on this since
I'm overwhelmed with all those themes, and evaluating them one by one
is something I would really like to avoid, not only for lack of
timeĀ :-)

>> I have converted and incorporated most of the website to the
>> documentation theme.  It is available at:
>>
>>   https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-web-jekyll/

Thanks, looks good!  Some comments, doing a direct comparison to
`freetype.org'.

* Please increase the default font size.

* What do you think of using a serif font?  I'm admittedly not a big
  fan of sans-serif.  If you absolutely prefer sans-serif, please
  select a default one that makes a *visible* distinction (i.e., not
  only a small difference in height) between lowercase letter `l'
  (ell) and uppercase letter `I'.

* In the left menu, I would prefer that if I open a sub-menu, it stays
  opened if I open another sub-menu.  Right now, it automatically gets
  closed.

* I'm quite fond of the FreeType logo integrated into the top bar, and
  I would like to have this somehow retained.  Right now, the top
  looks like zillions of other blogs...  Honestly, I would even like
  to retain the color changes of the top bar depending on the nesting
  depth, but I don't insist :-)