Re: [ft-devel] Updates for gf driver.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Updates for gf driver.
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 19:04:52 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please change the code to load a bitmap only on demand!  There is
>> absolutely no reason to load all 256 bitmaps at once.
>
> Yes, but it is not loading all the 256 bitmaps at once, like
> `cmr10.600gf' has 128 glyphs, so it allocates metric values for
> these 128 glyphs and we extract the data for required glyph
> according to its `glyph_index' from the table, like the `bdf'
> format.  Then how can this be changed?

The steps should be as follows.

gf_load_font:
  Check whether the file in question is using the GF format.  If yes,
  load all character locators into an array, together with some other
  useful global data like `hppp' or the global bounding box.

GF_Face_Init:
  Initialize a `GF_Face' structure with the data loaded by
  `gf_load_font' and construct additional stuff like a charmap.

GF_Glyph_Load:
  Look up the character locator, load the corresponding GF glyph,
  parse it, and fill up the face's `FT_GlyphSlot' object.