Re: [ft-devel] Updates to Docwriter: Logging, testing, linting

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Updates to Docwriter: Logging, testing, linting
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:23:48 +0530

Hi,

What I want, however, is a mainly vertical code flow and
lines not longer than 78 characters if possible.
[...]
BTW, I would like to have an indentation level of two spaces instead
of four – I see no reason to waste so much horizontal space, and four
spaces don't really increase readability IMHO.

See the attached images. 'indent_4' is the current formatting, and 'indent_2'
is formatting done using 'yapf' with chromium style (2 spaces) and column
limit 78.

The auto formatters (both yapf and black), however, perform somewhat
undesirable changes at places. See 'regex_indent_old' and 'regex_indent_new'
as an example.

In PEP 8, value 4 for indentation is like the parallel postulate: it
is completely isolated from all other recommendations...

I'm not sure what you mean by 'isolated' here, because the 4-space indentation
is the first line at https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#indentation

Instead of thinking about which one is 'recommended' or more widely used,
it would be better to think about which is more readable and maintainable for
us, IMO.

I'll wait before applying a formatter till there is a consensus here :-)

--
Nikhil