Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 20:09:01 +0100

>> Armin, Nikhil, wasn't there a plan to set up a FreeType mirror?  Could
>> you do that?
>
> Here are some possible ways we could do this:
>
> 1. Set up a server side post-receive hook so that all commits are pushed
> the mirror immediately.

This (option #1) is the only viable option IMO as it is `pure' in the sense
of complete independence of any 3rd party scripts/servers/etc that need to
be maintained (by whom? long-time?).  I have already tried to set up a
receive-hook GitHub mirror in late Spring 2018 when GSoC started.  Savannah
Hacker Team (which is responsible for hosting the `freetype2' repo) wasn't
suuuper happy about my request but I think one person of their team is
generally interested in helping us out there.  That being said, I haven't
talked to him in months and will use this occasion to follow up on that old
request :)

While I do enjoy setting up elaborate and ingenious toolchains myself, I
strongly argue against using 3rd parties where they are not strictly
required.  For this matter, there is a direct (and foolproof) way for
mirroring repositories, which I would strongly advice to use.

PS sorry for my delayed reply on this matter.

Best
Armin